Rock the Global

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sat Nov 10 19:00:02 PST 2001

Dennis Robert Redmond wrote:

> Much of what Graeber describes in terms of a new culture of dissent is
> Silicon Valley Management 101 -- decentralized networks, organizations
> which learn, and a Toyotist production model which has brought the
> research, production, and consumption spheres of multinational capitalism
> into close proximity. The difference is, working people are beginning to
> turn the instruments of their administration into tools of liberation --
> an entirely good thing, but realistically, this is just the first stage in
> a long struggle against the multis.

Uh, Dennis, things like affinity groups were invented during the Spanish Civil War. Many of the other techniques and tactics have been refined during the past 30 years of social change activism. Lock downs came out of groups like Earth First and street blockades from Reclaim the Streets.

The overall strategy has been described somewhat in that new Rand book on Net War. Another good source is "Naming the Enemy" by Amory Starr.

While I have a copy of Tom Peters "Liberation Management" in my apartment, I swear that it has had no influence on my activism in the anti-globalization movements. I doubt that very few other activists have spent any time reading managment literature.

OK, so perhaps you are being descriptive. Perhaps you are trying to dismiss how the anti-glob movement operates. There are lots of people, including activists in the movement, who remain ignorant of how the movement operates.

Chuck0