MIME 1.0 (art)

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Nov 12 11:35:09 PST 2001

``i really dont know much about art, so the real answer is just that i like these artists [Vermeer, Matisse} because their pictures are nice to look at!...'' ravi

I think the travelling Vermeer show started at the National Gallery in DC. But in any event that's why I like them too. I studied as an art major, painted, read about it, etc, but it still comes down to pretty much the same opaque response. You like it, or you don't. And there are some people who really don't respond at all to painting or the visual world, period. So the response must be linked with some kind of primal conceptual development----many times amplified or muted within particular political economies and their cultural complexes.

To a certain extent this is why I gave Ken MacKendrick a hard time on his Habermas communication thread which privilaged discourse above all other forms of communication.

Chuck Grimes