Affirmative Action for Movement-Building Re: "Hit List" Hits IAC/WWP

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 12 14:24:48 PST 2001

At 1:48 PM -0800 11/12/01, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>--- Chuck Munson <chuck at tao.ca> wrote:
> > Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
> > > Hasn't the 'radical democratic movement' been "lilly
> > > white" for quite a long time now? Why is that? What
> > > should be done?
>>
>> First of all, which movement are you talking about?
>>
> > Chuck0
>
>I'm speaking "in general", as in "in general" every
>demo I've been to have been generally lilly white. If
>I'm wrong, then great.
>
>I was calling on Yoshie, who was complaining about the
>radical movement being so lilly white, and being that
>she is part of the radical movement, I was wondering
>what she was doing to change her perception/reality,
>ect. Or to put it simply, why won't she tell us her
>experiences in organizing that fostered multi-ethnic
>and multi racial coalitions, orgs, ect.

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by the "radical democratic movement." If it means "anarchism," well, I'm not an anarchist, though I have been to a D.C. protest against the WB/IMF once (where I failed to hook up with Max despite our vow to look for each other, alas) and work with local anarchists, who are part of our anti-war coalition here.

As for the racial composition of any political outfit & social movement, the first question is if the main organizers are persons of color themselves; the second question is if organizers are plugged into social & communication networks of people of color; and the third question is if goals & tactics of the outfit or movement are in keeping with what people of color are looking for. Always practice affirmative action in movement-building. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>