Why did ISO hijack Berkley CA Schools Conference?

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Nov 12 23:31:23 PST 2001

At 11:24 PM 11/12/01 -0800, C P wrote:
>>re (sic)
>
>Just saying 'sic' to express a complex point is almost as bad in terms of
>elocution as me.

i agree. it was a little too opaque.

>you describe one as a "woman" and the other as a "black
>>woman" I call it the "ampersand" problem. try to be conscious of doing it
>>when i'm talking or typing. see Maria Lugones and Elizabeth V. Spellman,
>>Gender & Race: The Ampersand Problem in Feminist Thought. _Innessential
>>Woman_ Elizabeth V. Spellman
>
>?? The former could have been latino, could have been native american,
>could have been west asian mixed-quote-race. You can't really tell
>everyone's so-called race by glancing at them and not meeting them.

true. however, it's email, so things get misread. she caught me on doing the same, even though i'd later typed, "men and women of color and white women" later on, because i had typed "people of color and women" earlier, she plucked that out and called me on it.

i understand, though. i get upset with the way some issues are portrayed. she's just making people aware of the issues as best she can and, for her, this is probably a hostile place.

> I'll stop talking about this local stuff on this economics/academics
> listserve now.

hope not!

kelley