some good(er) news

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Tue Nov 13 11:48:12 PST 2001

Is Your Brain Really Necessary? John Lorber, a British neurologist, claims that some patients are more normal than would be inferred from their brain scans

. . . . There's a young student at this university," says Lorber, "who has an IQ of 126, has gained a first-class honors degree in mathematics, and is socially completely normal. And yet the boy has virtually no brain." The student's physician at the university noticed that the youth had a slightly larger than normal head, and so referred him to Lorber, simply out of interest. "When we' did a brainscan on him," Lorber recalls, "we saw that instead of the normal 4.5-centimeter thickness of brain tissue between the ventricles and the cortical surface, there was just a thin layer of mantle measuring a millimeter or so. His cranium is filled mainly with cerebrospinal fluid." . . . .

http://www.enidreed.com/serv01.htm

At 12:43 PM 11/13/01, you wrote:
> < http://www.newscientist.com >
>"Magic ingredient" for neural stem cells revealed
> 17:03 13 November 01
>Emma Young, San Diego

"All we wanted was something worth it, worth the labor, worth the wait

Then they take you up on the mountain, you see too late

. . .

Look around, you must be joking, all that way for this?"

-Ian Telfer