cultural imperialism

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 13:03:21 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> >On one hand, it's a funny anecdote; on the other hand, the
> >popularity of Coke, Pepsi, etc. in poor nations is often a sad index
> >of the absence of potable tap water.
>
> Yes it is. But people also like the stuff, something which causes
> anguish among high-toned Europeans and American leftists.
. Thomas Friedman, NYT 11/13, visiting an Islamic fundamentalist madrassa in Pakistan:

As we were leaving, my Pakistani friend asked the school's rector a question he had posed to me, which I couldn't answer: How come Americans are so good at selling Coke and McDonald's to people all over the world, but can't sell their policies?

"Because their policies are poisonous and their Coke is sweet," said Moulana Samiul Haq.