cultural imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:44:13 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Zizek makes the point that some of the loudest protests against the
> U.S. come from the displaced bourgeoisies (and their intellectuals)
> of second-tier powers - the prime example being France.

So? This sounds utterly banal. For several millenia the loudest complaints about _any_ ruling class have come from either the same ruling class or other ruling classes jealous of it. Could this have something to do with the fact that its ruling classes that ordinarily are the only classes that have a voice at all?

I wonder who complained most about the Romabn Ruling Class(es)?

Carrol