cultural imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 14 06:25:57 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> Zizek makes the point that some of the loudest protests against the
>> U.S. come from the displaced bourgeoisies (and their intellectuals)
>> of second-tier powers - the prime example being France.
>>

>So? This sounds utterly banal.

I know you're hard to please Carrol. In the last couple of days we've heard you complain:

At 12:43 AM -0600 11/13/01, Carrol Cox wrote:
>Chris Burford simply is not a serious
>person -- no serious person would maunder on about an embryonic popular
>movment expounding a plan for global government. One might as well put
>out plans for the colonization of Jupiter in the 5th millenium or demand
>that all children be taught to read Plato in Greek by the age of three.

We know it's your sacred duty to act as quality-control officer for our collective discourse. So in this case, if you'll permit me to justify my banalities...

...the thing is that lots of lefties, American and otherwise, view the Euro-critique as somehow radical, when it's just the bellyaching of a displaced bourgeoisie. It pretends that Europe itself isn't a privileged part of the imperial power structure. Canada occupies a similar role.

Doug