Why did ISO hijack Berkley CA Schools Conference?

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:17:09 PST 2001

>From: "C P" <quintanus at hotmail.com>
>To: kwalker2 at gte.net, lbo-talk at lists1.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Why did ISO hijack Berkley CA Schools Conference?
>Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:24:05 -0800
>
>>re (sic)
>
>Just saying 'sic' to express a complex point is almost as bad in terms of
>elocution as me.

Well, consider that for me it was a particularly complex point.

<snip>

I know it when I see
>it. to
>not mention her race would be racist.

I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't mention anyone's race. Nor, for that matter, was I suggesting that you can "read" people's "race's" accurately. Nor, even, was I suggesting you shouldn't talk about local stuff: a point I expressly addressed by conveying my sympathies to Ryan. My point was that "woman" in your remarks was implicitly not black, an assumption that I for one do not happen to share. But I do thank you for sharing about your friend who does rather than just discusses: no doubt his example of not discussing with you is a model for us all to emulate.

---------

And Kelley writes:

>however, it's email, so things get misread. she caught me on doing the
>same, even though i'd later typed, "men and women of color and >white
>women" later on, because i had typed "people of color and women" >earlier,
>she plucked that out and called me on it.

what I "plucked" was not "people of color and women". It was something about "women" working for "black" issues in the civil rights movement. Nice try but it was *not* an issue of ampersands.

>i understand, though. i get upset with the way some issues are >portrayed.
>she's just making people aware of the issues as best she can and, for >her,
>this is probably a hostile place.

I'd rather you didn't ventriloquize on my feelings.