Why did ISO hijack Berkley CA Schools Conference?

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Nov 13 17:22:09 PST 2001

At 05:17 PM 11/13/01 -0500, Mina Kumar wrote:

>what I "plucked" was not "people of color and women". It was something
>about "women" working for "black" issues in the civil rights
>movement. Nice try but it was *not* an issue of ampersands.

no, it was. you dropped the line, "and some of us are brave" which clearly pointed to the fact that i wasn't careful to talk about women by referring to their race. i should have said "white women" as i did later in the next para.

and, yes, white women did work in the civil rights movement, all the while knowing that white men were not interested in their rights.

otherwise, if i'm still wrong, i'll dig out th epost, i'll resend and you can say what you mean.

>>i understand, though. i get upset with the way some issues
>>are >portrayed. she's just making people aware of the issues as best she
>>can and, for >her, this is probably a hostile place.
>
>I'd rather you didn't ventriloquize on my feelings.

i was speaking ot christine offlist. i answered her question. you can read what i said. nothing nasty, when she didn't get it, i tried to straddle the two issues. white women's jobs are to educate other white women, right? so, what exactly would you like me to do? not talk about the issues? not humanize it, so that i can show others that i'm not being a scolding mom, but that i fuck up, too, so i'm not being an i'm more anti-racist than you POS that scores points for his or her own ego? i pointed out that i'd done the same, so christine would see it wasn't a personal attack.

the reason why i offlisted in the first place was b/c i guessed that if i answered, you will tell me to stop being so fucking white and let you speak for yourself. so i did: in public i stayed out of it. that is, until christine sent it to the list and to me. and then, i didn't realize it was to both addresses and sent it to the list too. it was intended to be offlist.

is it talking about you behind your back? well, yes, but not meanspirited. i figured i was doing my job -- letting you speak for yourself and then showing another white women how she and i reproduce privilege.

yes, i know, tough shit for me.

kelley