cultural imperialism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 00:20:16 PST 2001

>From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>
>
>>And let's not forget the eternal allure of nicotine. Ho Chi Minh, as I
>>recall, was a devoted Salem smoker.
>
>Stalin smoked Edgeworth tobacco (yuck) in Dunhill pipes, compounding the
>crime by ruining great pipes with lousy tobacco.

Say what you will about him otherwise, the Man of Steel was a sound judge of a good smoke. I've heard that Ambassador George Kennan brought in so much Edgeworth to the USSR for Stalin during WWII that the diplomatic pouch was known as the tobacco pouch.

I myself am enjoying a bowl of mild, mellow Edgeworth this very moment. For me, the sole benefit of extended unemployment has been being able to recultivate a long-discontinued pipe-smoking habit, since I'm now freed from Manhattan clean-air laws for office buildings.

Carl