cultural imperialism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:04:04 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>i do not think chomsky sees US imperialism as the root of all evil.
>
>I was exaggerating a bit, and I should make it clear that I admire
>Chomsky tremendously. But I think he, and people like him, tend not
>to give enough weight to the malign interests and practices of
>outside forces - comprador classes in the Third World, the EU and
>Japanese ruling classes, despots and religious reactionaries all over
>the place, etc. It's a very U.S.-centric view of the world
>(paralleling Chomsky's very American anti-theoretical empiricism).

Owing to America's hegemonic status, I'd say a "very US-centric view of the world" is well merited. The US furnishes the global operating system, you might say, and all those other factors -- comprador classes in the Third World, etc. -- are just applications or viruses.

BTW, while I am as much an admirer of America's purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain as anyone, I cannot but consider myself anti-American. I do think that this nation has a corrupt and corrupting culture -- one that has grown steadily more witless and vile throughout my adult life, for which I give all credit to capitalism.

Carl