Oil Diplomacy Muddled U.S. Pursuit of bin Laden

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Nov 14 14:54:19 PST 2001

I am starting to fear for my sanity because all this is starting to make sense to me, but even if every word of it is true, there remains no foundation for the premise that the attack on the WTC was known about in advance by U.S. authorities, much less that it originated with complicity from any U.S. elites.

The OBL-for-pipeline trade, even if true, is country-to-country business as usual. So too is the idea of trying to gain some advantage from adversity. No less then H. Kissinger had a big column in the Post proposing this very thing -- to use this affair to 'recast' the world according to U.S. interests. The notion that threatening to go after someone (who deserves getting after) by someone could result in a counter-attack of some sort is also a no-brainer. So the U.S. thought OBL was behind the Cole attack, among others, and escalated its moves to scoop him up, understanding that such pressure could encourage more OBL attacks. A jaundiced inference from this situation is that the U.S. should have backed down, notwithstanding OBL's complicity in previous attacks.

A problem with the internal logic of all this is that if the U.S. was really interested in snatching OBL, it wouldn't have let him get away so often. Alternatively, if they needed some kind of Taliban cooperation to get a pipeline- friendly environment, why demand OBL on top of that?

The threats to Afghanistan could have instigated the WTC attack, but that possibility is a long way from demonstrating that the threats intended to provoke something like the WTC, or that there was any foreknowledge of WTC per se. The WTC attack justified moves to overthrow Taliban, something that may have been fortuitous, but that doesn't mean the attacks were instigated by U.S. forces.

OBL was a pig who deserved a skewer before 9/11, so there is no onus on the U.S. for throwing its weight around in this regard, from where I sit. None of this changes the arguments about whether or how to deal with al-qaida, nor who should do so. It simply shows that the U.S. interests in the region go well beyond destroying OBL and his network. Didn't we know that?

I might as well throw in the point that if all the angst about the West running out of fossil fuels is well-founded, then investing all sorts of assets in ensuring a flow of oil to Pakistan and the PRC is not exactly a logical remedy.

mbs

|| Oil Diplomacy Muddled U.S. Pursuit of bin Laden, New Book Contends

This book and a covering article in Le Monde[1] looks like a devastating follow-up to the Figaro-Radio France[2] story about the “get-well” visit by a CIA agent to ObL in the American Hospital in Dubai. . . .