Hitch gloats

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Wed Nov 14 21:50:50 PST 2001

Max Sawicky:

> Hitch's gloating shifts focus from his subject to his sodden self, perhaps
> intentionally. But on the subject front, he is mostly right. What
> has happened so far has been good. People can't bear the
> thought that it is due to the U.S. Gov (and even worse, trust-fund
> baby Bush; worse still, for bad motives!), since it explodes their
> understanding of the world. If you don't like Taliban symps
> being shot in the street, go watch the film footage of Taliban
> clubbing women who flash some ankle.

I haven't met, nor read here, a single pro-Taliban person. Yes, yes, good riddance and all that. But what will come? Given the NA's last go round, which was hardly democratic or just, I think we skeptics may be forgiven for held breath. I mean, was Hitch or anyone else now crowing about the NA's advance to Kabul in favor of what happened in the mid-90s? (I don't recall Hitch extolling the murderous rampages of the NA, but that could change, for as Max says, "If you don't like Taliban symps being shot in the street, go watch the film footage of Taliban clubbing women who flash some ankle.") Or is this a kinder, gentler NA? And how will minority rule be applied?

DP