Hitch gloats

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 15 05:37:47 PST 2001

Everybody's a skeptic re: the NA, I would think.

If Afgh & pipeline are as all-fired important as some say, then the US has a big interest in regulating the situation, and the N.A. have an incentive to behave. Even if it isn't, I think the feeling of the danger of another reversion of Afgh to Taliban forces (mostly intact, as you know) is sufficiently strong to bring the same result. The U.S. is into nation-building again. If it can get the UN to go in a play policeman, so much the better for everyone.

mbs

I haven't met, nor read here, a single pro-Taliban person. Yes, yes, good riddance and all that. But what will come? Given the NA's last go round, which was hardly democratic or just, I think we skeptics may be forgiven for held breath. I mean, was Hitch or anyone else now crowing about the NA's advance to Kabul in favor of what happened in the mid-90s? (I don't recall Hitch extolling the murderous rampages of the NA, but that could change, for as Max says, "If you don't like Taliban symps being shot in the street, go watch the film footage of Taliban clubbing women who flash some ankle.") Or is this a kinder, gentler NA? And how will minority rule be applied? DP