Activists curtailed in USA (MER and Women in Black)

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Thu Nov 15 02:11:57 PST 2001

Activists curtailed in USAHey all,

Someone from the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD) sent me this today. If this is true, it does not bode well for the situation in the US. And we at IMC-Israel decided to use an American server because we thought that it would be more likely that we would be closed down by the Israeli authorities than the American. Perhaps we misjudged the situation.

Anyway, here is the info that we got:

Middle East Realities (MER.org) has been suspended.

MER has been around since the early 90s providing some of the best analysis and updates on the region available in the US. It's based in DC and produces a local radio show. It's run by a Jewish American activist, Mark Bruzonsky, who pulls no punches in his analyses of the corrupt Arab client regimes, the racist violence of successive Israeli governments and its representatives in Washington, the callous interventionism and hypocrisy of successive US governments, and the pathetically compromised, client (official) Arab organizations in the US. A lot of folks around the world depend on it for its regular updates, including me. But because it strongly criticized American policy in the region, it's been suspended.

The internationally renowned peace group Women in Black has also been harrassed and charged with "possible terrorist links." This is demonstrates so clearly why I have never had much respect for the intelligence of the FBI, the CIA or other intelligence agencies. They're incapable of distinguishing between legitimate peaceful dissidents and their opposites. The irony is that terrorist groups have no interest in any links with dissidents, precisely because they're out in the open and easily known by the authorities.