Pure Stupidity? Something Else?

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 12:11:35 PST 2001

Brad DeLong wrote:

> So am I to understand that you are withdrawing your characterization
> of Hezbollah as a "legitimate, civilian" and non-terrorist
> organization?
. I'm not sure why you're so interested in this sub-tangent of our argument but, since I'm currently unemployed and have nothing but time, I'll indulge.

If you have evidence that Hezbollah is currently a terrorist group, I'd like to see it. As far as I know, they continue to have a few fighters in Shebaa farms. But these are fighting Israeli soldiers, not civilians. (I'm not sure there even *are* any civilians there.) No car bombs, no suicide attacks, no bus explosions.

In my understanding of that nebulous word "terrorism," there has to be some serious deliberate civilian targeting intended to sow fear. I don't see any of that in Shebaa farms. But again, I'm willing to be convinced.

As for "legitimate"...that's more subjective, isn't it? What makes a political party legitimate?

Seth