critques of Martha Nussbaum view of disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Nov 15 20:47:00 PST 2001

ravi11/15/01 4:06 PMgadfly at home.com

> marta, i wonder if you have read alasdair macintyre? (see below). i wonder
> what your thoughts are on his work especially with respect to the content
> above (not his more general work on morals/virtue and his analysis of the
> failure of enlightenment in this regard). apologies if this is all old
> hat,
>
> --ravi

ravi, I am not familiar with Macintyre's work. Having read through your excerpts I'd say that there are some valuable insights here -- for instance that he foregrounds philosophy as having ignored disablement for the most part and that people are mutually interdependent (he doesn't state it that way but I think that is what he means). Also he is on the mark to remind all that they too can experience impairment. However, he doesn't present a materialist view of disability, which is the view I take. If one sees disability as a part of the environment (physical, political, social, etc) rather than a deficiency in the person as I do, then one looks to ways that society disables impaired persons rather than the impairment being the personal "tragedy" and cause of social outcome . Exclusion and segregation (in employment, education, housing, etc.) of disabled persons are barriers which society has created, and I believe are particularly determined by the economy.

The last graph on the "modern state" is very interesting. The disability movement has called attention to the way that the welfare state has cut disabled persons out of participation in solving our needs. Layers and layers of professionals (social workers, psychologists, rehabilitation professionals and the like) have made careers out of projecting what we need without ever consulting us! This industry (Albrecht calls it the disability industry) has dominated social policy often to our detriment. So while social solutions are needed they have largely gone awry.

A ground breaking work is Michael Oliver's Politics of Disablement (1990). One of the best books on historical materialism and disability is Brendan Gleeson's Geographies of Disability (1999). I have some papers up on the web at www.disweb.org too.

I am just now reading a book which I believe is promising though may not go quite as far in a critque of capitalism as I would. It is called Crippled Justice by Ruth O'Brien. best, marta