critques of Martha Nussbaum view of disability

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Nov 15 21:50:10 PST 2001

At 03:00 PM 11/15/01 -0800, Marta Russell wrote:

> > can't reconcile the above statement with claims made about her in the
> >

>"Who isn't dependent?" I think the critiquers would say.

well, yes, they did say that. but they left out the fact that, whatever she means by that word, she is certainly not advancing the notion that disability is a tragedy, nor is she advocating that the disabled's voices be left out, and so forth. those things were suggested by the very first article i read.

that's unfair of any reviewer of someone's work. i look forward to nussbaum's rebuttal since she clearly does not deserve the comments of the first reviewer. a quick skim of the second reviewere suggests the same: a complete misreading of nussbaum or, at least, an unfair review that focuses on one thing without ever commenting on the positive aspects of her work.

funny, too, since nussbaum's piece that i quoted from was a review of someone else's work.