Activists curtailed in USA (MER and Women in Black)

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Thu Nov 15 21:57:52 PST 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 at 1:54am Bryan Atinsky wrote:

> You know something, there are some really aggressive
> assholes in the bunch here, no?

Yeah, so? There are some real idiots here too, no?

Anyway, what you still have not answered is the only interesting question you have raised: why do you think there is something nefarious going on at MER? What even small shred of evidence do you have to belive this? If you have none, why forward? Why forward something that can't even get the simplest of fact right (in the opening sentence!)?

Now these people, for instance, have some reason to be creeped out:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2001-11-15/news.html/1/index.html

> I forwarded the content of something I was e-mailed, from a legitimate
> source I might add (knowing the people in ICAHD personally, I know that they
> don't usually go around spreading unsubstantiated rumors). I am sorry that
> it said MER.org, which was in the original letter I forwarded...perhaps the
> author of the original e-mail made a...oh my god no....mistake. (I never
> really registered that it could be confusing to others, and for that I am
> sincerely sorry. I merely forwarded what was already written in the letter).
> I am sorry that I took it for granted that people would know who they are,
> but I guess I am Middle East centric, and it is a known site in the circles
> here.
>
> I knew the site still existed, but after checking, I could see that it had
> not been updated since last month. Hence, I wasn't sure what the situation
> of the original letter was. It was from a source I trusted, but it didn't
> jive 100 percent with the evidence. That is why I forwarded the letter
> here. In case anyone else knew anything (I mistakenly thought that you were
> a helpfull bunch of people). I was trying to find out if anyone knew
> anything about WHY they had suspended, at this point in time, their service.
> The question is whether there were personal/technical reasons for the
> suspension, or whether it had anything to do with outside pressures.
>
> I wasn't neccesarily trying to inform anyone with the e-mail, but trying to
> ask for information myself. Remind me not to do it in the future with you
> bunch.
>
> thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
> > _______ ____ ______
> > / |/ / /___/ / /_ // M I D - E A S T R E A L I T I E S
> > / /|_/ / /_/_ / /\\ Making Sense of the Middle East
> >/_/ /_/ /___/ /_/ \\© http://www.MiddleEast.Org
> >
> > News, Information, & Analysis That Governments, Interest Groups,
> > and the Corporate Media Don't Want You To Know!
> >

> >We have had to suspend publication
> >of MER at this time.

> >MID-EAST REALITIES
> >http://www.MiddleEast.Org