critques of Martha Nussbaum view of disability

michael pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 16 10:00:20 PST 2001

www.sfgate.com Return to regular view Q & A Martha Nussbaum Call for compassion in vengeful times Kenneth Baker, Chronicle Staff Writer Sunday, November 11, 2001 ©2001 San Francisco Chronicle

Philosopher Martha Nussbaum taught ethics and classics at Harvard and Brown universities before being offered her current triple appointment in law, divinity and philosophy at the University of Chicago.

A liberal activist as well as an academic, Nussbaum, who is 52, has published books and essays on topics such as education, justice, patriotism and women's health. In the late 1980s, she worked with Nobel Prize-winning economist Amartya Sen to rehumanize the terms by which relief agencies reckon progress in the developing world.

Her "capabilities approach" to legal and institutional change views such things as play, practical reason, freedom of affiliation and bodily integrity as rights that true social progress must guarantee.

Her new book, "Upheavals of Thought: The Intelligence of Emotions" (Cambridge; 752 pages; $39.95) argues that emotions are modes of understanding essential to ethical judgment and what she calls "full political rationality."

She spoke with The Chronicle during her recent visit to Berkeley.

Q: Have the events of recent weeks -- terrorism and the war of reprisal -- changed your sense of your duties as a public intellectual?