Hitchens as the love child of Safire

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Fri Nov 16 20:27:58 PST 2001

> So where do you stand
> on civil liberties, absolute control by Empire, etc.?

On reflection, the tradition of civil liberties in the U.S. is among its finest achievements, notwithstanding the two century gestation. Its too bad food, safety, clothing, health, shelter are options. Reminds me of American cars.

Empire, schempire. Sawicky has previously noted that bad theory and bad politics are related. I'd add, as I have somewhere here before, that theory ought not to be a blunt instrument. You see ruling classes and I see classes yearning to rule. Theory's got be more than cleverness and plausibility.

> I ask because I just had yet another run-in, at the CUNY
> globalization conference, with people who heard my claims about the
> contradictory nature of capitalism to be nothing but an apology.

Harangued as an apostate and apologist? Gotta get a better social life.

Dennis Breslin