Hitchens as the love child of Safire

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 17 23:43:11 PST 2001

Dennis B. says:

> > So where do you stand
>> on civil liberties, absolute control by Empire, etc.?
>
>On reflection, the tradition of civil liberties in the U.S. is
>among its finest achievements, notwithstanding the two
>century gestation. Its too bad food, safety,
>clothing, health, shelter are options. Reminds me of
>American cars.

Given the U.S. incarceration rate, it is safe to say that people in the USA, in practice, enjoy civil liberties less than those in other rich nations.

***** The Justice Policy Institute reports that this year [2000], the U.S. prison and jail population will top two million for the first time. Using the most up-to-date Justice Department statistics and trends, the Institute estimates that the U.S. now has the world's largest incarcerated population, and highest incarceration rate. Just six weeks into the new millennium, America has earned the distinction of having a quarter of the world's prison population, despite having less than 5 percent of the world's population....

<http://www.tompaine.com/features/2000/02/14/2.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>