cultural imperialism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 21:01:00 PST 2001

>What specifically do you consider schlock (as opposed to, say, kitsch)? I
>confess a sordid fascination with the definitions of pop cult levels
>(especially the lower depths where some real treasure lies), so I'd be
>interested in your, or anybody else's, take.
>
>DP

I guess I'd define schlock as garbage backed by slick marketing, especially garbage that aggressively postures as something it is not (e.g., MTV as heir to the teen rebelliousness of the sixties). I'd say kitsch is softer-edged, more grassroots in nature and can have a certain wacky charm; one example might be paintings on black velvet sold by sidewalk artists in New York City.

Carl