cultural imperialism

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Nov 17 14:07:43 PST 2001

> I guess I'd define schlock as garbage backed by slick marketing,
especially
> garbage that aggressively postures as something it is not (e.g., MTV as
heir
> to the teen rebelliousness of the sixties). I'd say kitsch is
softer-edged,
> more grassroots in nature and can have a certain wacky charm; one example
> might be paintings on black velvet sold by sidewalk artists in New York
> City.
>
> Carl

I tend not to get hung up on definitions such as these, given the utter endless flux of cultural product. Garbage is garbage, shit is shit, and there is nothing even remotely appealing in it, ironic or otherwise. Schlock and kitsch are interchangeable labels to me, for in each I find something of interest, no matter how shallow or fleeting. Of course, this is all relative as one's shit is another's gold, and so on. But I defy anyone here to say anything bad about Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space" or "Can't Stop The Music" starring the Village People. I will defend these two fine films to the death!

DP