Cultural Imperialism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Nov 16 16:58:02 PST 2001

At 07:09 PM 11/15/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I happen to like both Hollywood films and "highbrow films" because I
>understand their respective strengths. I am always kind of skeptical of
>leftists who are so alienated from popular culture that they can't enjoy a
>good Hollywood film - you can denounce its low nutritional content but a
>complete allergy to mind candy is not healthy.

Why not? I'm not particularly interested in denouncing anything; it's not a question of commissars of high culture...but I the mind candy bores me and --to the extent that the brainwashing works-- diminishes me. So why is an allergy to mind candy not healthy. Would you say that if Big Macs make me naseous (sp?) that is not health?

And why assume that popular culture is drek? I mean commercial popular culture (an aritificial construct) usually is drek. But indigenous/folk culture -- which is also popular culture -- is usually not drek. So it's not just a question of high culture vs low culture.

Joanna B.