cultural imperialism

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Nov 16 17:10:50 PST 2001

At 01:00 PM 11/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>But instead of quibbling about that, how about developing the idea
>that schlock is the dramatic basis for that popularity. In other words
>why is schlock so popular?

Here's my guesses:

1. Marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing.

2. Shlock reduces reality to easily graspable paper-thin good/evil entities which relieves the anxiety of ambivalent feelings.

3. The schlock will by definition be seen by most people sooner or later ,and in a society in which there is little personal common ground, it will supply a common language.

4. The spectacle of waste on a grand scale is extremely comforting if you live under capitalism. It relieves the anxiety about overaccumulation (cause you're wasting it) and it makes you feel rich (cause you've got something to waste.)

But, I will have to confess, if I had the choice of seeing a hollywood blockbuster or any french movie made in the last thirty years, I'm not sure what I'd do.

And now, I'm going to the video store to see if they have the second season of the Sopranos: a very fine example of how popular doesn't have to be bad.

A good weekend to all,

Joanna B.