Maoist Eberts

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Mon Nov 19 12:56:08 PST 2001

> Yes, but have you read any of these reviews.
> For example on the movie Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl".
> For those who haven't seen the movie it is about
> the traumatic experiences a young girl suffers
> when she is sent to the countryside (actually a
> mongolian barren wasteland) during the Cultural
> Revolution and has sex with the various
> local party officials who promise that, in exchange,
> she will be sent home to her family. Of course
> she is never sent home.
>
> Of course, MIM notes sidesteps the story and point out
> it is fictional and exaggerated.

> Thomas

Read the one for "To Live," the point of which they also miss, and complain that the center of the story is inhabited by an "apolitical" family caught in the Cultural Revolution. Of course, they would prefer a pro-Maoist fam with no doubts and much religious zeal, the better to educate us on the glories of Maoism, etc.

But my fav MIM review is for "Batman Returns":

"Batman, for all his shrouded mystery, is just a cop whose role is to protect the entrenched power structure--which not incidentally includes protecting Bruce Wayne's fortune from so-called 'criminals' who might want to redistribute the wealth. When Catwoman Michelle Pfeiffer finds a woman being raped in a dark alley, she dispenses with the rapist, then looks contemptuously at the woman and says: 'What were you waiting for? Batman to come along and rescue you?' Women need not appeal to cops and other men in power to rescue them from domestic violence and rape; they should seize power for themselves. And contrary to the Batman Returns message, power doesn't mean dressing up in a cat costume. It means joining a revolutionary party to overthrow the imperialist patriarchy."

How wrong I was to have backed for so long the "cat costume" theory of power acquisition!

DP