Postmodern Jihad

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 19 18:20:18 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Have they ever looked at a page of
> Derrida's? Did they overlook all the references to Rousseau and Plato?

I've never used the phrase "postmodern" much if at all, nor am I too familiar with most of those called "postmodern." But if I were to attack the two I've read most (Derrida and Butler), the pejorative label I would use would be "Platonic." Take away the Platonic Forms that both furtively posit and they haven't got much to say. How does deconstruction differ fundamentally from that most reactionary of all intellectual techniques, one invented in fact for no other purpose but undermining Athenian democracy, Socratic Irony?

Carrol