Postmodern Jihad

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 19 19:45:38 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Kelley wrote:
>
> >At 01:45 PM 11/18/01 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >>Right-wing troglodytes are using 9/11 as an excuse to promote all
> >>their favorite obsessions
> >

> >everyone is.
>
> True, but I find the obsessions of right-wing troglodytes more
> repulsive than those of most other people.

What is wrong with right-wing troglodytes is that they are right-wing troglodytes, which is not a character flaw but a mistaken political position. It is foolish, even obscurantist, however, to criticize them for pursuing their political position. "Obsession" is probably one of those words subject to the logical positivist analysis of "emotive terms" -- using it tells one something about the user but nothing about the object to which it is attached.

I gather that Kelley things political convictions are mere frivolities or private foibles. A commonplace obsession <g> of red-baiters. It is therefore ill-bred, not politically correct as it were, to actually believe in one's politics. Sad.

Carrol