Howard Zinn school talk criticized by parents

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Tue Nov 20 08:02:32 PST 2001

Zinn criticized for overt influence on young minds at Newton (MA) High School.

``What happens if we do capture Osama bin Laden? Will we be safe then?'' Zinn asked.

``The death of 6,000 New Yorkers is very real to us,'' the school paper quoted Zinn. ``The death of thousands of Iraqi children is not. Until the death of children in other countries is as real to us as the death of our children, we will continue to have a real problem.''

Zinn warned the students that war ultimately curbs civil liberties in America.

``In a war situation there is always an attempt to suppress free speech,'' the school paper quoted Zinn. ``People who disagree with the war are looked at as unpatriotic, but in a democracy you must think for yourself about what is right and wrong and speak your mind.''

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/zinn11202001.htm

Peace,

Jim

"If only everyone would just agree then we could have real democracy."

-Real American™ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20011120/fe7db432/attachment.htm>