Off List Re: Marxism At Yale

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 08:16:56 PST 2001

> > Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?
> >
> > Doug
>
>You know, no offense to any ethicists around here, but most
>convoluted ethical philosophical perspectives always seem to
>boil down to a cliche like this ...
>
>Miles

Kant thought that ordinary peasants knew all the ethics that were knowable. Asa matter of fact, in terms of normative ethics, and for practical purposes, we all know what is the right thing to do. We just don't do as much as we should. However, stating what is the right thing to do, and explaining why it is the right thing, is not something that can be done in cliches. For example, thw quick and effective refutation to the Golden Rule as set out above is: suppose you are a masochist and what you want done unto you is to have horrible pain inflicted upon you? Suppose you are a scoundrel who gives no quarter and expects none? Refining maxims of action and moral principles to avoid these sorts of examples taxes the resources of the likes of Aristotle, Kant, and Mill. The results may be opaque, but they are not cliched. I don't say ethical reasoning is for everyone, and as I've often said here, philosophy is strictly optional. Lots of smart people don't see the point of it. So, if you are one of them, don't do it. It's a free country, more or less. jks