Pre-historic human societies

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 20 12:19:19 PST 2001

>Hi Kelley,
>
>I thought Doug's comment was pretty harsh, and the same goes for
>Christopher. Brad was addressing something else, so maybe I should cut him
>some slack. But I've also taken some heat from the list before for
>expressing some of these ideas, so that had something to do with it as
>well.

There are deep (and unresolved) questions about whether the neolithic revolution was a disaster for human happiness: once you have farms and crops, you can't run away from the thugs with spears... Hence the glories of the state and the church: it really does look like your average human lost a lot of autonomy and perhaps two inches of adult height once you switched from hunting-and-gathering to farming-and-herding.

But I don't know enough to evaluate or even have an informed guess on these issues...

Brad DeLong