Off List Re: Marxism At Yale

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Tue Nov 20 13:28:06 PST 2001

I wasn't claiming it as adequate, just trying to summarize what Justin was saying about Rawls and asking him to elaborate on his claim to disagree (because I find his responses interesting).

Seems to me that what philosophical abstraction gets you sometimes is, well . . . philosophical abstraction. Practice is definitely more complex, which is probably why, after reading Kant, we run off to novels and other literature that represents people in more concrete dilemmas?

So you would claim that what we have is another case of a philosophical "ideal" that doesn't match "reality."

By the way, one of my econo-trained-monkey-MBA dear close friends sent me a response that Rawls sounded to him like "Pareto optimality" (whatever the hell that is -- I've heard it used).

Peter Kosenko

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:48:43 -0800 (PST)