Pre-historic human societies

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:20:38 PST 2001

Brett makes an important point, I think. For the same reasons, I have resisted the argument that all societies everywhere and always have been patriarchal. Obviously, if that shows to be the case then we have to deal with it, but as Brett says if it can be shown that even one society has not been patriarchal (or hierarchical, etc.) then it shows the possibility that it can be done, and we might be able to learn from this.

I believe that we can learn from the history of precapitalist social and economic organization. Of course, we have to consider differences in technology, etc., but this does not mean that "learning from" is the same as proposing "a return to."

One example is in the resource utilization systems of earlier societies. Everyone is familiar with the 'tragedy of the commons' thesis and its problems. Pastoral nomads, fishing communities, etc., developed social institutions that mediated the sustainable use of common property, as well as a number of ecologically sustainable practices. The 'modern' solution to the common resource problem is privatization, but in fact privatization has resulted in many cases to environmental degradation. We don't need to become nomadic herders in order to learn from the social organization of such societies. The point is that social institutions mediate resource use. So we need to develop institutions suitable to our own circumstances. There are so many examples of this kind. We need to be a bit more 'humble' about just how different we are from earlier societies.

Mat