Off List Re: Marxism At Yale

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:24:51 PST 2001

Pareto also said that men have a greater capacity for pleasure than women and the rich have a greater capacity for pleasure than the poor. Thus no "interpersonal utility comparisons." (Pareto and others were faced with the possibility that their theory could be used to argue for a completely egalitarian redistribution of income.)

Peter Kosenko wrote:

>By the way, one of my econo-trained-monkey-MBA dear close friends
>sent me a response that Rawls sounded to him like "Pareto
>optimality" (whatever the hell that is -- I've heard it used).

Pareto optimality is the condition in which no member of a society can be made better off without making someone else worse off.

Pareto himself was quite an elitist and often is taken as something of a fascist.

Doug