legal angle

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Nov 23 13:50:02 PST 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, JoeG wrote:

> It proves that NATO has no interest in things like human rights and
> democracy.

Not quite. NATO is interested in the human rights and democratic freedoms of *rentiers* (the freedom to speculate on chip fabs, punt national currencies, etc.). Multinational capitalism is an intensely paradoxical admixture of progress and regress; the point should be to highlight the oligarchic freedoms of rentiers against the collective interest of the entire planet.

I was reminded of this the first time I went to Newark Airport and stumbled around in a haze, because there was no cappucino to be had. Finally I found a caffeine station near a Swatch boutique -- the tentacles of Eurobourgie civilization aren't all bad.

-- Dennis