Arguments for ground war - forget it

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 23 14:45:25 PST 2001

> > >I don't care what Osama & the
>> >Taliban have done, killing innocent Afghans (which this war is doing) is
>> >wrong.
>>
>> But this principle gets you nowhere: Allowing the Taliban with their
>> guns to rule over and terrorize people is also wrong. Which wrong do
>> you try hardest to avoid, and why?
>
>Allowing the Northern Alliance to rule over and terrorize people is also
>wrong. Replacing one set of murderers with another, what Washington is
>doing, isn't much of an improvement. The liberation of the oppressed must
>be the work of the oppressed themselves; anything else just replaces one
>form of oppression with another....

Well, now we've moved from a principle that is of no help to one that is actually harmful. Any principle that leads to the conclusion that the Anglo-American liberation of Western Europe from the Nazis was pointless because it "just replaced one form of oppression by another" belongs in the rubbish-pile of history.

Brad DeLong