Arguments for ground war - forget it

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 23 15:32:30 PST 2001

>>Allowing the Northern Alliance to rule over and terrorize people is also
>>wrong. Replacing one set of murderers with another, what Washington is
>>doing, isn't much of an improvement. The liberation of the oppressed must
>>be the work of the oppressed themselves; anything else just replaces one
>>form of oppression with another....
>
>Well, now we've moved from a principle that is of no help to one
>that is actually harmful. Any principle that leads to the conclusion
>that the Anglo-American liberation of Western Europe from the Nazis
>was pointless because it "just replaced one form of oppression by
>another" belongs in the rubbish-pile of history.
>
>Brad DeLong

The Anglo-American claim to the liberation of Western Europe from the Nazis is a dubious one, especially when one considers Spain and (more importantly) Greece where they took the side of fascists. The Anglo-American record in the Pacific theater is even worse, as, near the end of WW2, they employed Japanese soldiers to counter Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, and others struggling to liberate their nations. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>