Arguments for ground war - forget it

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Nov 23 16:54:06 PST 2001

> >>Allowing the Northern Alliance to rule over and terrorize people is also
> >>wrong. Replacing one set of murderers with another, what Washington is
> >>doing, isn't much of an improvement. The liberation of the oppressed must
> >>be the work of the oppressed themselves; anything else just replaces one
> >>form of oppression with another....

Brad DeLong
> >Well, now we've moved from a principle that is of no help to one
> >that is actually harmful. Any principle that leads to the conclusion
> >that the Anglo-American liberation of Western Europe from the Nazis
> >was pointless because it "just replaced one form of oppression by
> >another" belongs in the rubbish-pile of history.

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> The Anglo-American claim to the liberation of Western Europe from the
> Nazis is a dubious one....

But suppose it _was_ a high-moral-principle sort of thing. A reasonable application of the principle demands that the United States, or rather Capital, undertake the duty of extirpating oppression everywhere through war, and of installing liberalism or at least colonial rule by liberals. That's a lot of work, but I am sure there are those who are up for it.

-- Gordon