Crime not War (Re: Arguments for ground war - forget it)

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Sun Nov 25 18:13:42 PST 2001

Crime not War (Re: Arguments for ground war - forget it)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 05:17:28 +0000 From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
>>>The U.S. attack on Afghanistan is definitely illegal pursuant to
>>>international law. The U.S. doesn't have the legal right to attack
>>>a country because it harbors criminals. This is outrageous from a
>>>legal standpoint.
>>
>>Right.
>
>So you don't buy the UN resolutions?
>
>Doug

Last time I checked, the UN can't resolve to act contrary to its charter, and more than Congress can legally act unconstitutionally.

jks

CB: In another legal area, the secret military tribunal thingy violates the Constitution and the Geneva Accords on treatment of prisoners of war. Bush can't have it both ways. If this is a war, then those he captures are prisoners of war, and they have rights under international law. You can't have secret tribunals with military officers deciding to execute people without drifting over into war crimes stuff.