Crime not War (Re: Arguments for ground war - forget it)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 25 20:04:59 PST 2001

Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: In another legal area, the secret military tribunal
> thingy violates the Constitution and the Geneva Accords on
> treatment of prisoners of war. Bush can't have it both
> ways. If this is a war, then those he captures are
> prisoners of war, and they have rights under international
> law. You can't have secret tribunals with military officers
> deciding to execute people without drifting over into war
> crimes stuff.

I would prefer to substitute "The United States" for "Bush" in this statement. It was a decision of the Administration, not merely of the person slightingly referred to as Dubya, and it is a decision that has the backing, apparently, of all the chief instruments and agencies of the ruling class. It enters in to our debate over what is and is not the "anti-imperialism of fools."

Carrol