Pacifica news

rhisiart at earthlink.net rhisiart at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 26 06:04:05 PST 2001

a more recent report on the Pacifica situation:

From: "Carol Spooner" <wildrose at pon.net> To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;> Subject: UPDATE - Committee to Remove the Pacifica Board Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 08:59:55 -0800 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400

Dear All --

Many people have emailed to ask me my thoughts about the Pacifica National Board meeting last weekend. Due to a death in the family I was away from home all week and this is my first opportunity to respond.

On November 17th the Pacifica Board of Directors, with 9 out of 15 directors present and voting, adopted a resolution that all the directors would submit their resignations & the board would be reconstituted by 5 members chosen by the board majority, 5 members chosen by the board "dissidents", and 5 members chosen by the 5 local station advisory boards ("LABs"). This would be called a "transition board" and would require a 2/3rds majority vote to take any "major" actions. ("Major" was not defined.) The "transition board" would be required to hold elections of new LABs by the listener-sponsors in each station area on a timetable to be determined, and to address issues concerning the station managers, the fired & banned staff at WBAI, Democracy Now!, the Pacifica Network News stringers' strike.

My thoughts are that it is very uncertain at this point whether the PNB "resolution" will be ratified by the board members who were not there. The board does not have the legal authority to compel the resignations of those who don't agree. If the resolution does take effect, there are numerous problems with it. Much remains to be seen. The lawsuits, however, are NOT settled by this board resolution -- and numerous legal and financial issues are still outstanding. We cannot rely upon a board "resolution" -- we must have legally binding court orders, not just promises, to democratize and return Pacifica to its mission at all five stations. There are serious issues at all 5 Pacifica stations -- serious financial issues, serious management issues, serious issues of programming, serious personnel issues, serious issues of governance structure -- I am particularly displeased with a board that requires a 2/3rds majority vote in order to resolve any of these issues.

We are pressing forward with our aggressive deposition schedule & preparing for trial in January. We also filed a motion for contempt this week against the board majority defendants due to their failure to post the court ordered bond to cover their attorneys' fees that have been advanced by Pacifica.

Your continued financial support is needed and appreciated -- see below for information how to support the listeners' lawsuit.

Pacifica Means Peace. Thanks,

Carol Spooner Committee to Remove the Pacifica Board (sponsoring the "listeners' lawsuit") web page: http://home.pon.net/wildrose/remove.htm

Important -- We can't do this without you! There are 2 ways to give to our listeners' lawsuit legal fund -- tax-deductible & non-tax deductible. If you don't itemize your taxes or don't need the deduction, please choose the non-tax deductible option in order to save us a small administrative overhead fee. Thanks!

Non-tax-deductible gifts to legal fund can be made payable and mailed to:

Committee to Remove the Pacifica Board 1136 Wild Rose Drive Santa Rosa, CA 95401. or on-line through Paypal go to http://www.paypal.com/. You will need to give them our email address: wildrose at pon.net.

Or ... Tax deductible gifts in any amount can be made payable and mailed to:

Marin Health Fund/Public Media Initiative (you can abbreviate: "MHF/PMI") P.O. Box 5402 Mill Valley, CA 94942.

You will receive tax deduction receipt from them. Also, the MHF/Public Media Initiative has a special account to receive gifts of stock in support of our lawsuit. For details contact Linda Remy at mhf1982 at pacbell.net Web Page: www.marinhealthfund.org Thank you!

### This bulletin comes from the Committee to Remove the Pacifica Board web page: http://home.pon.net/wildrose/remove.htm