Fem. solidarity and Afghan women

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Nov 26 06:06:46 PST 2001

Am I the only person out there that thinks forcing the Afghan government to include women is a profoundly dumb idea? Wouldn't this be pretty fiercely opposed by something like 80-90% of the population? Sounds like a near-certain recipe for creating mass public disaffection and potentially violent social confrontation to me, esp. if the hypothetical coalition government includes moderate Talibs. Given conditions in Afghanistan, shouldn't we be more worried in stopping, say, mass rapings and executions than whether or not Kandahar can have a female mayor (who would quite possibly be assassinated)?

Chris Doss The Russia Journal