Gadsden Flag Racist?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 27 06:28:28 PST 2001

When I got mobbed back on July 4, 1969 (1970? -- memory vague) while standing under that flag it wasn't the flag that irritated the mob -- It was the Frederic Douglas July Fourth oration that I was reading. I don't think the flag, by itself, makes much of a statement. And under present conditions most (I suspect) would interpret it as a dare to terrorists not to bomb us any more or "we" will get them. US citizens for the most part have long since reconciled any and all real and imaginary contradictions between the War for Independence and current reality. Bill Maudlin had a cartoon back in the late '40s with a caption something like "Private X" attends the DAR meeting of his great-great-great grandaughter." Private X was either Willie or Joe in a Continental uniform.

Carrol