Gadsden Flag Racist?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 27 07:01:07 PST 2001

I hadn't heard of any association of the flag w/the right, so I would go for it. It's less corporate and statist.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Dennis Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 9:06 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Gadsden Flag Racist?

Amid all the flag waving in my neighborhood, I thought about buying the original American flag, the classic Gadsden with coiled snake and "Don't Tread On Me" demand, and hanging it from my front porch.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/america-store/gadsdenflag.html

But my wife nixed this idea, saying that the flag has racist connotations. Years ago, she worked with Jim Ridgeway on a CD-ROM (and I believe laserdisc) version of "Blood in the Face," which is, as I'm sure most here know, a docu on the far right/neo-fascist groups and militias prepping for race war and the End of Days. Apparently the Gadsden flag is a fav with this crowd, but I always thought they preferred swastikas and the Stars & Stripes with the stars replaced with a cross. I thought that in the wake of the Patriot Act, the message "Don't Tread On Me" would resonate with my neighbors, who would inquire as to why I was hanging this flag. But my beloved thinks this will make us look like Nazis. What do the enlightened here think?

DP