On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 29 09:56:17 PST 2001

jks: I don't get it. If I oppose _this_ war, I have to oppose _every_ war? Why? What's wrong with traditional just war theory, taught at the Point and Annapolis, under which it can beargued that some wars, e.g., the wara gainst the Nazis. is just, but some other wars, like the US invasion of Vietnam, or theSoviet invasion of Afghanistan, or this war, is unjust? jks

mbs: No, you can oppose this war but not other wars. But you can't do that if you oppose this war by saying "I oppose all wars."

You can't adhere to just war theory and be a pacifist.

vilely yrs,

mbs