taliban/birmingham

Angelita Manzano angiemanzano at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 12:11:25 PST 2001

--- Chris Doss <chrisd at russiajournal.com> wrote:

> I also suspect that a majority of Afghan women, who
> have after all been
> socialized in an extremely patriarchal system, would
> accept it themselves.
> People are not born wanting to be political. This is
> a completely
> non-Western, tribal culture. I doubt that a concept
> like "democracy" makes
> any sense at all to most Afghans, much less
> "equality of the sexes."

> Instead General Suhaila Siddiq, 60, sighs with
> exasperation at Western
> feminists and their obsession with the burka,

okay--so, women who organize against women being cut up & beat up are "harping" about the burqua. Kinda like when the media says the ERA is about forcing men & women to use the same bathrooms?

she is scornful of
> exiled Afghan women's rights campaigners and Western
> feminists who champion
> their agenda.

like you have to go all the way to Afghanistan to find women who are scornful of Western feminism?

===== Angie Manzano off our backs magazine 2337B 18th St NW Washington, DC 20009 ph: 202-234-8072/202-682-4000 fax: 202-234-8092 http://www.igc.org/oob