On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Nov 29 18:29:24 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 1:31 PM Subject: Re: On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

> I think Seth's question, derived from Noam Chomsky's, is a good one. There
> are a lot of people in the world who have excellent reason to be really
> ticked at the US for overthrowing their governments, attacking their
> leaders, supporting invading contra armies, and the like. We cannot
> reasonably say that the US had the right to blast the T regime off the
face
> of the earth because of 9/11 unless we also say that the Haitains,
> Nicaraguans, Cubans, Salvadorans, Guatamalans, Chileans, Vietnamese, etc.
> have the right to attack the US and overthrow the US govt. I don't think
> either of those is true, jsut to be clear. Of course they can't we can
can,
> but is that a morally relevant distinction, Brad?

Although I don't speak for Brad, I can unequivocally say that it is a relevant distinction. No country has a "right" to wage war on another, although sometimes the people of one nation will be made better off if their government is toppled from the outside. Can't see that happening in the US.

-- Luke