[PEN-L:20144] What is to be done about Everything?

jean-christophe helary helary at niji.or.jp
Fri Nov 30 06:51:09 PST 2001

<Gar Lipow>-----
> are opposed to the evil things this government is doing in response. We
> need to be able to answer the question: "what would you do if you were
> in charge?". People simply will not consider anyone a serious critic
> who refuses to answer this question.

it seems to me that what is totally new about this 9/11 thing is that we see an inversion of values. we live in a world where succesful people are praised, not blamed. and we have a case of terrific succes that we don't want to praise for what it is worth. we should praise the terrorists for allowing us to see our ugly face in a mirror everytime we turn on the tv, read the news or check our mail.

i am not in charge and chances are i will never be just like all the members of this list and a few billion others. so this question does not make sense _at all_. the only valid question is what do you do now as a terrorized individual. because we are all scared to death by what is going on. not only by the terrorist attcks themselves but the ways our gvts react to them. japan is taking steps to change its constitution under koizumi's extremely right guidance, european countries are all taking steps to reduce public liberties, the same is true in the us etc... no comments on 'less' democratic areas.

this war is only another episode of "the oppressors are having a party in the backyard". it is entertainment. and eventually it will happen to be good for business. meanwhile there are millions of little deaths that don't make it into the news, or under titles that make them look like it's business as usual: layoffs, plants closing, restructurations, fucked up educational system, no pension benefits, privatization of health care blablabla.

if i were in charge i'd find the terrorists and tell them "thank you, you've conclusively proved us we are screwed. now we are going to be good to not have to benefit from your services anymore". and i'd probably even hire them to look out for evil doers around the world to teach the evil guys a lesson about what it is to be _really really_ evil. what do you think about this answer, would people consider me a serious critic ?

jc helary